€17.95 inc. VAT
Smart civilisations introduce their young people to new branches of mathematics and encourage their natural curiosity and creative thinking. This full-colour book aims to encourage students and teachers to discuss infinity, paradoxes, square roots of minus numbers, the fourth dimension and many other fascinating and stimulating concepts in mathematics whilst also covering essential aspects of Leaving Cert syllabus.
• Targeted Content: Content is designed to engage and interest Transition Year students. Chapters can be completed in any order depending on the teacher’s preferences, interests, time & students ability. It is not a fixed syllabus.
• Assessment: Transition Year can be difficult to assess. This book may be used as an accumulative portfolio and the work can be collected, assessed and graded at the end of the year.
• Ability Level: The book is aimed at Ordinary & Higher Level students. Questions appear at the end of each chapter and are designed to ensure students from both levels have a sufficient number of exercises. Answers to all questions are provided at the back of the book.
• Project Work: There are 63 projects spread throughout all chapters to encourage group work and student curiosity. Some projects make take an entire class period to complete. Others can be used as homework exercises or as in-class activities.
• Statistics: A whole new extra chapter on Statistics has been included in this New 2nd Edition.
• Calculator Use: A useful reference guide on calculator use is included to show students how to use a calculator to perform mathematical operations.
• Famous Mathematicians: Brief biographies or relevant famous figures who shaped our understanding of maths in the world today appear throughout the book.