Thorough treatment of all these aspects of English Literacy in a seven-book series:
• Oral language
Each book focuses on 5 main writing genres:
• Exposition (Persuasive)
There are 10 units of work in each book and each unit deals with 11 main elements:
1. Reading passages written in one of the five writing genre
2. Speaking and listening activities based on the genre. Focusing on activities for the whole class and activities for working in pairs.
3. Analysis of the structure of the writing genre.
4. Reading activities focus on developing comprehension at 3 different levels: reading for information, reading for understanding and application of understanding.
5. Vocabulary activities focus on extending word meaning, word building and activities include dictionary work, antonyms/synonyms, alphabetical order, anagrams, word searches, crosswords and word worms.
6. Grammar activities which focus on parts of speech or punctuation.
7. Spelling pages focus on specific spelling rules e.g. plurals.
8. Writing Framework/Template to guide the children in perfecting the specific genre. This allows the children to be creative and imaginative while still providing the children with a structure needed to enable them write in a genre.
9. Writing activities.
10. Editing and Proofreading activities.
11. Two page assessment of the entire unit.